Even though it has become popular only in the last decades, quinoa has been used since centuries ago by ancient Peru tribes. This is probably why:
- It contains all nine essential amino acids, making it a complete protein.
- Contains more fiber than most other grains.
- Is an excellent source of iron which carries oxygen from one cell to another, and to our muscles. Sufficient iron increases brain function, fertility, energy metabolism, and more.
- Contains lysine, an amino acid responsible for converting fatty acids into energy and lowering cholesterol.
- High in magnesium, manganese, potassium, calcium, phosphorus, and B2.
- It is a seed that is eaten and prepared like a grain.
- Quinoa is gluten free!